The National Employment Standards (NES) are 10 minimum terms of employment that apply to all employees in accordance with the Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth).
The 10 minimum workplace entitlements in the NES are:
- A maximum standard working week of 38 hours for full-time employees, plus ‘reasonable’ additional hours.
- A right to request fl exible working arrangements to care for a child under school age, or a child (under 18) with a disability.
- Parental and adoption leave of 12 months (unpaid), with a right to request an additional 12 months.
- Four weeks paid annual leave each year for a full-time employee (pro-rata for a part-time employee).
- Ten days paid personal/carer’s leave each year, two days paid compassionate leave for each permissible occasion, and two days unpaid carer’s leave for each permissible occasion for a full-time employee (pro-rata for a part-time employee).
- Community service leave for jury service or activities dealing with certain emergencies or natural disasters.
- Long service leave entitlements.
- Public holidays and the entitlement to be paid for ordinary hours on those days.
- Notice of termination and redundancy pay.
- The right for new employees to receive the Fair Work Information Statement.
There are a number of options that an employer has when employing or contracting an individual to perform work for their business. Employment can occur pursuant to an award, enterprise agreement or individual employment contract. Alternatively, a business may engage the services of a contractor pursuant to an independent contractor agreement or services agreement.
For more information about employing people in your business please click here to contact us or call 9525 8688.